Monday, June 2, 2008

LOST: Top 10

So at this point the Lost finale has been discussed ad nauseum. But come on it was pretty awesome. Not quite as epic as "Through the Looking Glass" but even more emotionally evocative (minus Charlie's poetic death scene that is, I still get sniffly just thinking about it). "No Place Like Home" was the perfect capper to dare I say it, a perfect season of my crazy show. Without further adeu, my top 10 moments.

1. Penny/Desmond reunite. This was quite possibly the most rewarding scene the powers that be at Lost have ever given us. I spent most of the finale pleading with the tv gods to spare my favorite time-travelling Scotsman from some horrific death, so seeing him live and get his happy ending---at least for the moment was an embarrassment of riches.

2. Sawyer gets to be the hero. I'm not as diehard a Sawyer fan as most Lost fangirls, but I've always thought he was one of the most interesting characters on the show. I have to admit even I swooned when Sawyer kissed Kate before leaping from the helicopter allowing our gang to make it the freighter.

3. Juliet drinks rum. Oh Juliet, how do you break my heart all the time? Sitting on the beach drinking rum watching her last hope of leaving the island go up in smoke was one of those quiet aching moments that Lost does best. When a wet Sawyer comes swimming out of the ocean calling back to that glorious scene in "Whatever the Case May Be", my brain may have started dreaming about a Juliet/Sawyer pairing.

4. Sayid and Keamy throwdown. In a year full of awesome new cast additions, Keamy managed to be one badass standout. Getting to watch him go at it with our resident badass? Priceless.

5. Ben. I can't pick one moment. Emerson plays them all to perfection. From the comedic (Locke must have too busy hanging out in his locker to study botany) to the serious (Ben kills Keamy...and everyone else on the freighter) to the seriously creepy (Ben moves the island. With a frozen wheel.) It was a terrific night to be Benjermin Linus.

6. Jin misses his plane. Sun sounded as if some essential part of herself was being ripped away as that helicopter flew away leaving her husband to die on the freighter. Not that I believe Jin's dead.

7. Sun makes a deal with Widmore. Future Sun proves to be awesome...and kind of scary.

8. "Checkmate, Mr. Eko." Sayid shoots a guy and then busts Hurley from the asylum, but not before Hurley beats the late Mr. Eko in a game of chess.

9. Daniel says goodbye to Charlotte. Let's face it, I love Daniel Faraday. And Daniel Faraday loves Charlotte. Therefore I love Charlotte (and Miles--let the man eat his peanuts, Rose). Finding out Charlotte was born on the island? Cool. Being forced to spend the next nine months wondering if my sweet, gravelly voiced physicist was on the good or bad side of the island move? Not cool, Damon and Carlton. Really, really not cool.

10. "You can go now Micheal." The actor may not be pleased with his send off , but as a fan of the character since the beginning seeing him get some measure of redemption was pay off enough for me. A ghostly Christian Sheppard allowing him to shake of his mortal coil was just the creepy icing on the cake.

Bonus: I have to mention seeing a downward spiraling Jack listening to his emo and breaking into the funeral home for his late night rendevous with Ben. And of course the reveal of Locke in the coffin, unlike last year I didn't figure this twist out before it happened.

Is it January yet?

No comments: